EMP Publication: Part 2

28th April

Today I called up DPI again, based on our initial conversation that I should give them a call the week before I need the prints done. I booked a time to meet them and give them the files between 10 and 11 next Tuesday the 4th of May. That Monday is actually a Bank Holiday so they are not open, but it won’t have an impact on the printing times, I will still get the prints on Thursday evening. I asked how the files should be set up and I was told simply the standard 3mm bleed and that it should be a PDf. I also found out that the A3 prints only take a day to do.

Here are the covers of the two books I have been putting together. This first book is THE PUBLICATION as required for the EMP. It documents the project from beginning to end and is meant to be something well designed, which sits nicely in a portfolio. This is the spread of the front and back cover.

And here we have the second, mini book I plan to produce. It will showcase only the final pieces and act as a sort of ‘proposal’ of my designs to the Olympic Committee for Prague 2020. The gold design on the cover is taken from my initial experiments into abstracting the shapes of the astronomical clock.

4th May

Over the weekend everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I lost some of my work, thank you computers. But, many people have had the same problem so I took the warning and have been periodically backing up my work. Since it’s so close to the deadline though, I did loose a sizeable chunk. On top of this I also came across the problem of facing pages vs. single pages since the bleeds are slightly different for each (3 sided vs. 4 sided). I found no solution to the problem on online forums about how printers prefer the files to be set up. Arguments were made for both options and everyone said that you simply need to talk to your printer. So yes this may seem like a rather basic mistake but it did not come up when I asked about specifications and file set up last Wednesday (28th). I haven’t actually gotten a book professionally bound and printed until now so I truly am new to the whole process. I’ve had all manner of other prints done, but just never a book. This wasn’t really covered on VisComm the way it is on BA Graphics. I emailed the printer about this issue with the sinking feeling that he wouldn’t get back to me until Tuesday morning, which proved to be the case. And first thing on Monday morning I had to make a tough decision, and simply call up the printer to let him know I couldn’t make the meeting because of all the issues. Now began the process of salvaging and finalizing as best I could.

7th May

In the end I simply had to abandon the idea of creating a mini book and made a series of A3 final design sheets instead. I sent these to the printer on Wednesday afternoon, pleading whether they could be ready for Thursday evening instead of Friday morning (as discussed on Tuesday when I had to call in to cancel). On Thursday morning I called in, first thing to check whether the A3 print files were fine, and I finally received a welcome break with the announcement that the prints were already done and ready for me to pick up! I think that since I had been in touch with the printer well in advance in preparation for this project, he went out of his way a bit to help me out of a tough patch. All in all to my over-stressed and sleep deprived self, this came across as an absolute miracle. Something finally went right!

Regarding the A3 prints:

“We will print on a 350gsm silk @£1 each and £8 setup.

You can have a matt laminate for an extra £1 each sheet.”

The final publication though, needed more salvaging and therefore more time. I went to speak to the course leader on Tuesday right after needing to cancel the appointment with the printer to basically update him on my situation and how to proceed. I managed to create a mock-up book (printed on nice quality paper on my home printer) and spiral bound in the library. At this stage I simply didn’t have time to get it printed and perfect bound as originally planned because of all the complications. Upon handing everything in I sent the PDF of the book to the printer anyway, thinking that it would be worth it for my portfolio and for ECP&E. My course leader made my day on Friday when he let me know that once the book was printed I can add it in anyway. The following week, when I went to pick up my A3 portfolio sheets (for ECP&E) I picked up the book as well.

Advertisements
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: