Out of the three briefs this one gave me the most trouble. It took heaps of work and development before I got it to where it is now. Throughout the project I’ve been wracked by uncertainty about my design decisions, which is probably evident in the extensive amount of revisions as shown on my blog.  Overall things just didn’t go as planned. I started out wanting to focus on an object and a day or two later switched to social issues. Then once I received feedback from the Final Crit. I once again took it in a new direction and focused on a different issue (pre crit. I was dealing with the wealth divide, and post crit. I did military spending vs. education spending). Though the poster has undergone so many changes I think that I did succeed in creating and developing designs, which were consistent together and fed off of one another.

For example once I maintained a certain color scheme (grey, black, red, green, blue and white) it threaded through all the designs. Early on I also defined my key images: world, hands, money and. Visually the design I turned in for the final crit. was good and I was very satisfied with it, but all the images together in one design overcomplicated the poster and made it confusing. The tagline wasn’t great either and was generally unreadable, I find it really difficult to come up with good taglines…perhaps something to look into in the future, and work on.

When I was re-doing the poster, post-crit, I didn’t need to start from scratch. I just edited certain parts away (ex. removing the hands) or developed them more (ex. making the coin planet into a dollar bill planet).  I looked back over my idea and design development and quite a few times found myself bring back certain bits and pieces that I had discarded or discontinued the first time around (such as the red background which I had discarded in for my wealth divide topic because it had too many militaristic connotations, which fitted perfectly with my new topic.

Though I could keep going on and on in trying to reach an even better final design, I think that this project was a good experience all in all, despite all the frustration. In the industry you are bound to come across this sort of project where things just don’t click and when a brilliant idea/design is being illusive. But, as in the industry, deadlines and time constraints play their role and I think they actually helped make me more decisive in which ideas and designs to pursue. Sometimes too much time can be as negative as too little, if you get caught in a never-ending cycle of revising everything (especially when through revision things start to get progressively worse).

I think that for this project I didn’t do enough research, especially when I compare it in hindsight to the packaging project. I did go back after the final crit. feedback and gathered more specific research, especially statistics, which is something I wish I had done the first time around instead of as an afterthought. My wealth divide idea focused more on ideals then statistics but I think that the final design, supported by statistics answers the brief much more appropriately.

The final design immediately presents a contrast even in the background colours: the block of red vs. the small sliver of black. Next, there is the whole interplay between white and black text, used alternatingly for to emphasis. I ended up choosing this design because of its simplicity, clarity and clear heirarchy….which were the main issues I was trying to solve from the unsuccessful first design. I quite liked the designs I developed around the exclamation mark, but the new layout brought back all those issues which I was trying so hard to avoid. In the end it would just be too time consuming to push this design into a finalized state, so I just left is, evidenced it in the blog, and went for the simpler final design.

The heirarchy is clear, it starts right at the top and works down step by step, no jumping around. You start with the white text at the very top, followed by the first image…the white text is then contrasted right away by the black text of the military spending statistics, while the globe of coins image is contrasted (through the size difference) by the few falling coins. Lastly you see the education statistic, purposefully aligned towards the right to emphasize the mammoth difference between the two statistics…alignment to the right makes it seem less important then the rest which is exaclty what I want to get at. The white education statistic contrasts against the black military statistic while a the same time popping up even more by the black text and black strip all around it. The globe of coins is meant to represent the military spending statistic while the few falling coins represent the education statistic….this sets up a visual comparison which echoes the actual written stats.